Saturday, February 14, 2009

Heather Headley














Heather Headley - Audience of One [2009]

The CD's title also takes Heather back to her father's one room church in Trinidad. "That is where I learned to sing," she fondly remembers. "I would close the windows and practice singing and playing the piano for hours pretending I was performing for a crowd of people, using a hairbrush as a microphone. I was singing to an empty church, and God was my audience, an audience of one."

Explaining the album title, AUDIENCE OF ONE, the Trinidad-born, Indiana-raised, and Northwestern University educated star gives credit to her husband Brian Musso. He reminded her one day about the little church back home, "the joy that I found singing in that empty church to my `audience of one.' And so that is what this album is... a girl singing to the only audience that really matters... the One Audience who is truly worthy." "I grew up in the church, actually above the church, and this album not only grants me a way to sing music I've always wanted to, but it also gives me a chance to give God some overdue praise for everything He has done, and continues to do for me. I really don't deserve all that He has given me. I can't help but be grateful; so, we'll take the voice He gave and thank Him with it... This is My gift to God. My relationship with Him is paramount."

Recording a gospel album is a natural transition for Heather who admits that as a Christian, she was uncomfortable with provocative lyrics submitted to her. "I never wanted to compromise anything, now I want to make sure God is happy," Heather says. "This album is for Him."

No comments: